Astorino, in partnership with ICME Healthcare, was retained by SEHA, a government healthcare agency in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi of the United Arab Emirates, to plan and design a prototypical ambulatory clinic for both urban and rural site locations. The project will consist of 10 sites located throughout Abu Dhabi and the clinics will be new to their site or built as a replacement facility.
Astorino’s challenge for the clinic planning was to establish a new standardized model of patient care that will bring the doctor to the patient, which is similar to Western medical practices. The model will clearly define the patient process upon registration, throughout the diagnostic and clinical zones and end with their checkout procedures. Staff and support spaces located around these zones will allow immediate access to the patient, but with clear circulation paths and control access as needed. There will be a single Public Entry and Exit point. The results are operational effiiciency, cost containment, and flexibility of diagnostic and treatment spaces. Gender separation required by religious belief will also be provided.
Astorino employed various levels of healthcare expertise on the project, which resulted in a program that established space standards based on size, function, and medical process. The plannning process created a direct flow with efficient adjacencies and flexibility of room use. Our architectural and site experts were able to minimize the building’s footprint and parking needs while referencing their Estidama, sustainability requirements.
Dedicated approaches for urban and rural areas:
- Centralization of clinic centers to increase medical quality and efficiency
- Optimized patient management process ensuring adequate levels of care during all phases
- Integrated system of Primary and Specialty Care within ambulatory services
- Extension of Specialty Care competence from the hospital to ambulatory service
- Preparation for future demand of complex ambulatory services (interventions, surgery, etc.)
- Broad Primary Care Service combined with ER and Basic Specialty Care Service offered by Primary Care Centers
- Hospitals offer standard Specialty Care Services and ER-Service
- Due to long distances and low population density, hospitals also offer Primary Health Care Service in Outpatient Departments